Although we aim to provide you with the highest standards of service, there may be occasions when our service or advice does not meet your expectations. This guide is intended to communicate the process we will follow should you feel the need to complain. The procedure has been designed to meet the requirements of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
Although we will deal with complaints made verbally, it is preferable that your complaint is put in writing using our complaints form or addressed to:
Complaint Manager - Financial Advice
Skipton Building Society
If you would like to discuss your complaint you may contact either your Financial Adviser or the Client Integrity team who can be contacted by calling 0800 055 6898 or by email SFACustomerIntegrity@skipton.co.uk.
- We will send you a written acknowledgement within five working days of receiving your complaint (whether made verbally or in writing).
- Your concerns will be fully investigated and a detailed response (‘decision letter') issued within eight weeks of receiving your complaint.
- In order for a thorough investigation to be undertaken your complaint letter and details from your file will be sent to the selling Adviser, who will be asked for a report.
- Should you have any concerns in the meantime you should contact the member of staff whose name appears on the acknowledgement letter.
- In the unlikely event that no response is provided by us within the eight week period you are entitled to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
If you remain dissatisfied following our final decision letter, you have the option to refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
The Financial Ombudsman Service provides a free and independent service for consumers, and can be contacted at:
The Financial Ombudsman Service
Phone: 0800 023 4567
If the matter is to be referred to the Ombudsman you should do so as soon as possible after our final response and certainly within six months. Outside this time period the FOS has the discretion whether to review your complaint or not.
You should allow us to complete our Internal Complaints Procedure before you refer your concerns to the Ombudsman.
There are certain types of complaint which are outside the Ombudsman's jurisdiction. Before you refer the matter to the Ombudsman you may wish to contact them on 0300 123 9123 to discuss your complaint. You can also visit their website for more information.
Under EU regulation, from 15 February 2016, for products and services bought online you have the right to refer any complaint to the Online Dispute Resolution platform (ODR) who can put you in touch with the right body to help resolve your complaint. As we're a UK financial advisory business, the ODR will still refer you to the Financial Ombudsman Service as the alternative dispute resolution body. The Financial Ombudsman Service will refer you back to our complaints process unless you've already been through this. So you might prefer to go straight to the Financial Ombudsman Service after you've been through our complaints process. If you decide to use the ODR platform, when you complete the form online please include the following e-mail address as our contact point:SFACustomerIntegrity@skipton.co.uk.